The Journey ..........

The Journey ..........
Just as everything that glitters is not gold, all those who wander are not lost

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Dreams and Aspirations

A few days back my dear wife wrote this for me -

I believe in what I read a few days ago – it’s all in the state of mind – sometimes you see a plain glass, sometimes you see myriad hues of the rainbow through the plain glass ! Sometimes you are so content enjoying the aroma of the tea, the lazy afternoons and the running around of the kids in the house but sometimes the same tranquility makes you restless – it makes you want to do something more, may be achieve a little more, maybe you want to make your life a little bit more meaningful !

As a young girl and later as a wife and then as a mother, I was often more than content being the “lynchpin” (as my husband would affectionately address me). Today, I am not content in the same way.

I have my own set of dreams and aspirations. He has his own. Yes, we are supposed to blend these dreams but surely not impose them on each other! It could have been the other way round too. Maybe, I wanted to make it big but because I was willing to sacrifice my career for him, I wanted him to take charge of my ambitions. He had always wanted to write and so I dreamt of him in the league of famous writers. Over the years, I coaxed him, cajoled him, motivated him to write but then he never really wrote. He didn’t write because he was just not passionate about it. It was a dream which was not his own. It was a desire that had been imposed on him! I would feel bad that he was not trying but today the realization dawned on me that that you should follow own dreams.

Today, I promise myself that I will take charge…..that I will not let any opportunity pass, so that as an old lady when I look out of the window and say to myself – I could have been!

(Earlier, i had been fighting a few of my demons. Today, I am fighting a few more! Sigh!)

2 comments:

  1. no sighs required here ...just remember these were fleeting emotions and remember the lady who wrote this sees the myriad hues of rainbow thru the plain glass 99% of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. but sometimes i still wish that u try...!!!

    ReplyDelete