The Journey ..........

The Journey ..........
Just as everything that glitters is not gold, all those who wander are not lost

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Inspirational Stuff

The other day, I was leafing through books at the library and chanced upon "The 10 Natural Laws of Successful Time and Life Management" by one Hyrum W. Smith. Generally, such books fail to find favour with me. However, a little poem at the beginning of the book had me rivetted. The poem, the author says, is inscribed on a sun dial at Wellesley College and goes like this -

The shadow by my finger cast
Divides the future from the past.
Behind its unreturning line,
The vanished hour, no longer thine..

Before it lies the unknown hour,
In darkness and beyond thine power.
One hour alone is in thine hands,
The now on which the shadow stands. 


The Sun Dial


Inscription at the Sun Dial


I did some googling around and found out that Wellesley College is in US and was founded in 1870 by Henry and Pauline Durant who were "passionate about higher education of women". I visited the college's website (www.wellesley.edu) and was impressed by what I saw.

No, I am not in the good College's pay roll !

Presently, I am wading through the book and  I must admit Mr Hyrum. W. Smith has not disappointed me. Alas ! he doesn't pay me either.  

No comments:

Post a Comment